REVISION DESCRIPTION SHEET
|00||–||First submission for Engineer’s review and approval.|
Table of Contents
7. HSE.. 8
This Method Statement outlined the following items;
- Resources to be used.
- Work procedure for External paint provided by JOTUN Paints.
- Handling and storage of materials.
- Inspection and test plan.
- Inspection checklist.
The purpose of this Work Method Statement for External painting Works is to outline and describe in detail the procedure such as surface preparation, applying sequent putties / coats and all other related activity. Inform all concerned supervisor including workers the value and importance of this activity prior to implementation. This activity should be performed with strict compliance and implementation of Safety Requirements & Procedure and project specifications to complete the work of external painting.
MOI Ministry of Interior (Employer)
GIJV Consultant: Gesbau Italconsult Joint Venture
BEC Beijing Emirates International Construction Co. (Contractor)
IFC Issued For Construction
QD Quality Department
QCP Quality Control Plan
ITP Inspection and Test Plan
JHA Job Hazard Analysis
STA Safety Task Assignments
QCI Quality Control Inspector
MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet
TDS Technical Data Sheet
PPE Personal Protective Equipment
Specification and Documents listed below are referred to;
- KAP5- Group 4 (09960) Project Specifications.
- Federal Specifications TT-E-489G, TT-E-506K, TT-T-29J…etc.
- ASTM D 16, 562, 2833…etc.
- TCA 137.1 & TCA Handbook. BEC HSE Plan.
- BEC Quality Assurance Plan.
- BEC Environmental Control Plan.
- Approved drawings.
- Material Approval.
- Project Manager
Project manager is responsible for maintaining the safety and progress of the work. He shall ensure that he has the latest drawings of the project and have updated information from the Engineer regarding project.
- Construction Manager
The Construction Manager is responsible for the arrangement of the work.
- HSE Manager
The HSE Manager is responsible for reviewing this procedure method statement, ensuring that the method statement, JSA and STA are carried out at the required time by the Safety Officer. Ensuring that all operatives are briefed on the method statement and operatives have signed to confirm receipt of briefing
- Safety Officer (reports directly to the HSE Manager)
The Safety Officer is responsible for the following:
- Insure that all safety requirements to start the activity are provided by the construction group as per project HSE manual and specification.
- To conduct daily inspection to ensure that safety requirements are being maintained up to the completion of this activity.
- Ensure JSA and STA have been carried out.
- Ensure operatives understand the method statement and are briefed on the method statement.
- Advise operatives on their responsibilities and safety requirements.
- Site Engineer
Site Engineer and Survey team is to insure that external painting work is carried out as per required specifications and Method of Statement. To insure that all parties required any kind of inspection or test are suitably informed as to the delivery program. Insure that the notification time to QC is sufficient to meet notification time to Engineer.
- Site Foreman
Site Foreman team must work together to ensure that all activities regarding external paint shall be carried out properly. Preparation of area and necessary requirements for the execution of this method of statement must be carried out carefully to ensure safety and on-time delivery of work.
- Quality Control Inspector (QCI)
- The QC Inspector is responsible for checking and verifying the documentation for the Inspection Request (IR) submitted by the Site Engineer prior to submit the same to the client for inspection.
- QC Engineer/Inspector is responsible for rejecting the work or prepare observation report if the work is found not in-compliance or unsatisfactory.
- The Observation Note will specify the commented work by the QC Engineer/Inspector and submit for rectification prior to carry out the Inspection Request.
- Coordinate with the Site Engineer and Client representative during inspection.
- The Painter
Shall be responsible for the Painting Application Works.
The following tools and equipment shall be used during external painting Works.
- Paint Brush
- Paint Roller
- Spray Paint
- Sand Paper
Note: The type and quantities of equipment are subject to change to suit the site requirements.
- For JOTUN Paint: (Submittal Ref. No.: KAP5-BEC-00-000-00-MAT-AR-1842-00 and KAP5-BEC-00-000-00-300915-PRQ-CI-0846-0).
- Man Power
- Skilled and unskilled labor.
- Supervisor / Foreman
- HSE Officer / Crew.
- Mechanical Operated tools should be inspected before using and should be power off after using
- Daily site inspections before work commences should be carried out to look for indications of any situation that could result in cave-ins and indications of failure of protective systems.
- Provide sufficient lighting during hours of darkness to allow safe working conditions.
- All persons working in the site shall wear proper mandatory PPE.
The foregoing procedure for the External painting works will serve as a guide or reference to the SE and QCE along the course of their work to achieve an acceptable quality of workmanship, and at the same time to control materials utilization and attaining the optimum results with less time and effort as:
- The Contractor shall prepare a Mockup Sample that will provide a full-coat benchmark finish for each type of coating and substrate as indicated in the contract drawing’s schedule of finishes. As per instruction and/or selection by the engineer, the contractor shall prepare a sample room or surface that will comply with the conditions for the application of each type of coating and substrate.
- Once the area to be sampled are selected by the engineer, the SE or QCE shall ensure that the surfaces substrate are in a condition ready to receive painting work, i.e. surface defects such as hairline cracks, small holes, and imperfections were corrected or rectified using latex patching compound or crack filler, in accordance with the paint manufacturing recommendations as to the type of coating or substrate.
- Substrate and conditions shall be examined under which painting will be performed. Work will only proceed when conditions are satisfactory.
- No painting shall be done over dirt, rust, scale, grease, moisture, scuffed surfaces, or conditions otherwise detrimental to formation of a durable paint film.
- Painting materials shall be mixed and prepared in accordance with manufacturer’s directions.
- Containers used in mixing and application of paint shall be maintained in clean condition, free of foreign materials and residue.
- Materials will be stirred before application to produce mixture of uniform density, stir as required during application. Surface film shall not be stirred into material. Film will be removed and, if necessary, material will be strained before using.
Apply paint in accordance with the manufacturer’s directions. Use applicators and techniques best suited for the type of material being applied as following JOTUN’s Procedure.
The QCE shall invite the engineer to witness the foregoing procedure as per the submitted IRs (Inspection Requests).
An IR will be offered to the Engineer after surface preparation is completed. Once the Engineer approves that the surface is ready for the first coat application, an IR for first coat application will be offered for inspection. Likewise, an IR will always be offered to the Engineer for inspection and acceptance on the subsequent applications for the second, third, fourth and final coat activities.
Frequency of inspection requests shall be as per the approved ITP.
12 QUALITY ASSURANCE:
|DESCRIPTION OF WORK||IN-CHARGE|
|The QA/QC Manager will monitor and ensure that this Method Statement shall be observed so that smooth Work Flow will be attained. Furthermore, the QA/QC Team shall ensure that each individual elements of the work shall be completed substantially in compliance with the approved plans and project specifications to meet client’s expectation. The following activities shall be observed: Single Source Responsibility: Provide primers and other undercoat paint produced by same manufacturer as finish coats. Use only thinners approved by paint manufacturer, and use only within recommended limits.Coordination of Work: Review other Sections of these Specifications in which prime paints are to be provided to ensure compatibility of total coatings system for various substrates. Upon request from other trades, furnish information or characteristics of finish materials provided for use, to ensure compatible prime coats are used.Material Quality: Provide manufacturer’s best quality trade sale paint material of various coating types specified. Paint material containers not displaying manufacturer’s product identification will not be acceptable.||QA/QC Manager QCE, SA|
13.1 Inspection and Test Plan.
METHOD STATEMENT BRIEFING RECORD
(External Painting Works)
Briefing delivered by:
Position: QA/QC Manager
We (the undersigned) have read and understood the attached method statement and will comply with the specified requirements and control measures. If the work activity changes or deviates from that originally envisaged, we will seek further advice and request an amended method statement.